Monday, August 6, 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Serious Salsa


It's Secret Recipe Club reveal day!  I always love this time of the month because we finally get to share our secret blogger that we were assigned!

This month, I was assigned Vanderbilt Wife.  Jessie is a sweet girl, housewife, and mom of two little cuties!  She's an all-around blogger, posting recipes, book reviews, and general thoughts on life.  She's definitely my kind of blogger!

Jessie's got a collection of great recipes, including Breakfast Casserole and Old Fashioned Strawberry Ice Cream - she's really got you covered from breakfast to dessert!

This is our third year having a garden.  We've never really been able to grow anything up until this year.  We've always tried to grow tomatoes, but they've always fizzled out - until this year!  I actually managed to snag 6 from our plants so far - and they're some beauties!  So I knew when I saw Jessie's recipe for Serious Salsa, my tomatoes would be put to good use!

I didn't really change much except that I used all 6 of my tomatoes (they were in the small to medium range), 4 jalapenos, and red onions instead of plain onions.  I also omitted the green bell pepper out of pure laziness - just didn't feel like going to the store!  I actually liked the fact that this wasn't a normal salsa consisting of loads of cilantro and lime juice.  The honey was a pleasant sweetness and I definitely enjoyed the chili powder and cayenne too!  This is definitely a salsa we'll be keeping in rotation!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Vanderbilt Wife's recipe

6 small/medium tomatoes, diced
4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 & 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapenos, red onion, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper, chili, and cayenne pepper.

Cover and let refrigerate for about 1-2 hours to develop the flavors.

Enjoy with tortilla chips or topped on protein of your choice!  We used this for dip, topped some grilled chicken, and even on leftover tacos!  It was definitely a favorite for us!  Thanks for letting me stalk your blog Jessie!


Want to join the Secret Recipe Club?  Click here to find out more!


11 comments:

  1. Yum! I love fresh salsa. Our tomatoes are doing okay, but are being very slow to ripen. So far we've only enjoyed two of them. Fresh salsa is one of my favorite things to make with them. Great choice, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salsa looks great! So wonderful that you could use your own homegrown tomatoes for it--bet it tasted even better b/c of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never added vinegar or honey to my salsa...I bet it's great...can't wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade salsa is so good! We don't make it often enough. Thanks for inspiring me to make it - I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O love a good basic salsa recipe and just add what's ripe! This with the vinegar is my favorite way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your salsa looks great! We usually chop up everything so finely that it's more a restaurant-style salsa, but yours looks great, too. I mean, it's salsa. How can you go wrong??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had good luck with tomatoes this year too and your salsa is a great way to use some.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Chicken Satay Noodle Salad.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salsa looks wonderful. I haven't made homemade salsa in WAY too long - definitely inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful salsa!! I need to make a homemade salsa version like this instead of cheating with the jar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh peggy! i love the addition of the cider vinegar! and who doesn't need more salsa recipes in their repertoire?

    ReplyDelete