Friday, June 17, 2011

Sweet Potato Blondies

Happy Friday guys!  Boy am I glad!  Because after my 8-hour work shift tonight, I'll be on vacation for the next 9 days - and it's much needed!

It's another "stay"-cation, but I won't be working, so it'll be a stress relief, that's for sure.


In other good news, I signed up to do my first half-marathon at the end of October.  I'm setting my main goal to just finishing (with minimal/no walking), so I'm pretty sure I can do it.  Meaning, I'll probably be starting my training next week too.  I figure, if I can get into the hang of this running business early, I can amp myself up for later on.  Make sense?

Anyway, I figured since it was Friday, I might as well leave you all with a sweet treat.  As well as a sweet poll!  My Great American Bake Sale is next Saturday, so I need some inspiration for what to make - so pick a treat and I'll make sure to sell it!





Ingredients:
Adapted from a Food Network recipe


3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 & 1/8 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanila
3/4 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup chocolate chips
10-12 large marshmallows, optional

Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a small (around 8x10 or so) baking dish with flour and butter.

In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar and butter.  Beat until smooth.

In another medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.

In bowl with sugar and butter, beat in eggs (one at a time) and vanilla.

Slowly add in flour mixture until a thick batter forms.  Fold in sweet potato puree and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into baking dish and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  If you wanted to kick it up a notch, like I did, you could top the batter with marshmallows about halfway through the baking time to get them all toasty.  After all, marshmallows and sweet potatoes were just meant for eachother!


Hope you guys have a great weekend!  Ours will be filled with sushi, Father's Day, and relaxing!  Oh... and a HAIRCUT!

41 comments:

  1. Genius! I've got sweet potatoes here just begging to become those bars! Yum!
    Good luck with half training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have been obsessed with sweet potatoes lately! Great idea...these look so yummy!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love sweet potatoes in every kind of way! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blondies looks scrumptious..enjoy your vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Peggy! I love sweet potatoes and this looks yummy! I love the marshmallows on top. Very nice. Happy stay-cation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOOOhoo I am super excited to make these! I actually have ALL the ingredients :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I love sweet potatoes...and blondies. What a great merger!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange blondies? Don't tell the redheads! These look great and what a great twist using sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, now this is VERY interesting and I bet it was delicious. I guess I went with the most popular option for the bake sale. Nutella makes everything taste better, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW, the stumbleit button doesn't seem to be working :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww.. that looks delicious and its new to me :D blondies :D I gottu try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a sweet potato blondie before but these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of sweet potato blondies before! definitely gotta give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go easy on those potatoes to complete that half marathon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this recipe! Its kind of like sweet potato casserole at thanksgiving! what a brilliant idea to make it into blondies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! What a great idea. You are going to do awesome in the half! Using a Camelbak really helped me in my last one because I didn't have to stop at water stations. Some people like to do that though. I'd love to run the one you signed up for. I'm going to think about it with having one the weekend before. Keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet potatoes in blodies? wow that's definitely something I have to try too! They look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay to your stay-cation! Much deserved and does that mean we're going to see some delicious recipes? These blondies look great! I definitely want to put this on my list of snacks to try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look and sound so amazing. Such a great idea. I will be adding it to my 'must bake' list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will need to print this recipe and place it in my binder under Thanksgiving desserts. This would be perfect to take. These look so delicious. I bet these taste amazing. Yummy! I wish I had the confidence to sign up for any sort of race. I am not a natural born runner. Although I think it would be great motivation to get better. Enjoy your staycation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH YUM!! I always associate sweet potato with winter... hence why I passed it up last night at the farmer's market. :/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet potato blondies, omg this is brilliant! Hope you enjoy your staycation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. healthy delicious looking blondies haven't had with sweet potato

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so brilliant! I've never seen or tried anything like it. Thank you for sharing another fabulous recipe with me. I want to get into the kitchen and start baking (even though its 105 degrees here!) I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Flipping brilliant! Makes dessert seem like health food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds amazing..thanks for sharing..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! Those blondies look so delicious! I looooove sweet potatoes. Thank you for sharing I will have to try to make them next weekend. Check out my blog if you are interested :)

    http://closetfatchick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck at the bake sale! And enjoy your stay-cation. I always visit your site after the poll closes, need to do better. But I want the recipe for mini nutella pies!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow, amazing idea! I would like a slice, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, thanks for your visit ;) Love sweet potatoes! These look sooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love blondies! What a great idea using sweet potatoes in these! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How yummy! I must admit I have never eaten a sweet made with sweet potato, but this looks so tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. OK, I have seen and eaten black beans brownies but sweet potatoes blondies, brilliant idea.
    I simply love it. Thanks for sharing Peggy, hope you're having a great time in your mini vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun blondie. The sweet potato is a great idea and gives these bars such beautiful color. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. O.M.YUM!!!! this look absolutely RIDICK!!! i will without a doubt be making these!!

    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    www.cupcakesomg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gosh it's seems like forever since I had a blondie, last time was at TGIF! These sound delish!

    ReplyDelete