Thursday, June 23, 2011

CSA Week #8 & A Tribute To Monet

It's Thursday, and we all know what that means - CSA roundup! 

But first, I'd like to talk about Monet.  If you don't visit Monet's blog, you are missing out.  When I first starting blogging (almost 2 years ago - can you believe it?!), Monet was one of the first people that I had connected with.  She's got a way with her words that strikes almost every emotion.  And through the past year or so, has gone through more hardship than some people go through their whole lives.   Lizzy & Kate wrangled up a group of bloggers to compile a book of comforting recipes to present to Monet.  I was surprised at the large group of bloggers that stepped up, and I'm proud to be a part of such a caring community!  You can check out the list of other bloggers that contributed here, and the recipe for Mushroom & Squash Enchiladas that I contributed here

So without further ado, let's check out what ended up in our CSA this week... (and I just got some new plug-ins for Photoshop, so I was playing around with them, hehe)

  •  Blueberries
  • New Potatoes
  • Sweet Onions
  • Beets
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Cabbage
  • Salad Mix
  • Head Lettuce
I actually really love beets!

First potatoes of the season - I definitely know we're in for a ton more!

And we've got two new bloggers participating in the CSA round up this week too (and they're not from Kentucky - not that I don't love seeing what my Kentucky bloggers get!)

First up, Karla from Karla's Veggies Noms

Red Beets, Sweet Peppers, Yellow Peaches, Muskmelon, Nantes Carrots, Celery and Fresh Tomatoes  
Looks like Karla got some great stuff - I'm definitely jealous of those peaches and fresh tomatoes!  By the way, Karla's from Mountain View, CA!  And do check out her blog today because she's got a fantastic tomato sauce w/ vegan gnocchi recipe up!

Next up we've got Lyn from Life Lyn Style.  Lyn hails from North East Ohio and her CSA is from Geauga Family Farms!

Kale, strawberries, tomatoes, eggs, garlic scapes, green onions, pickling cucumbers, and lettuce

Aren't those strawberries too cute?!  And nothing beats farm-fresh eggs!  So check out Lyn's blog for great workouts and to see what she'll be doing with this produce haul =)

What a great variety we had this week!  Glad we could see what some other states get this time of year!  Hopefully you guys will be back next week too (along with a few others, maybe?!)



***If you guys received a CSA this week, what did you end up getting?  I'd love to have a weekly round-up of your CSA goodies (if you participate in one), or even if you made a weekly visit to your Farmer's market (or even just picked from your own garden!) - I'd love to see the local produce everyone gets!  So feel free to e-mail a snapshot of your goods (as well as your name and blog title (and don't worry if you don't have a blog, your name will be just fine!) as well as a link to your blog) at mtlabor85 (at) yahoo (dot) com and I'll post them in next Thursday's CSA post!

21 comments:

  1. these look great I forgot to send you mine :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to Monet's blog! That was such a sweet and thoughful gift.

    I love those strawberries and all the other colorful produce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look awesome :) And thanks to you. Now I know Monet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a nice CSA box. And I'm going to visit Monet's blog right now. Thank you for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful CSA box, my husband loves beets too! I don't get one around here, but I have plenty of place to go to get good local produce. I will check out Monet's blog, it is such a good community isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I've really been loving the blogging community. Everyone is so supportive and kind. Thanks for introducing us to Monet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She really does have a way with words - agree why this is a wonderful community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love farm produce....crazy how much better and more "real" it looks and tastes than the standard grocery store stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Peggy, for being a part of the tribute to Monet...and for your comforting, delicious enchilada recipe. Your produce looks fabulous...can't wait to see what you whip up this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. de beaux produit!!!!
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great loot! So yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely tribute to Monet! I am honored to have been a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful shot Peggy, I am still trying to improve my photography skills, hoping can reach this standard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome awesome awesome! I am always so envious of everyone's CSA. I think it's about time I join one and see what interesting veggie recipes I can whip up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't participate in a CSA, but I'd like to. Something I should look into, I'm sure there's something local. I DO have access to a garden this week, and am loving it (and am on the same page with you about beets--why are there so few beet lovers out there??)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my sweet girl...thank you again and again for being such a support. I am so glad that you are part of that beautiful book that sits beside me now. Thank you for sharing your creativity and love with me. I am leaving with such a wide smile on my face. I hope you are having a joy-filled weekend. Much love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Peggy, what a wonderful thing to compile this book of recipes for Monet! I went over to look through her blog, and the losses her family have experienced left me speechless. Her blog is such a powerful reminder to live life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you recieved lots of delicious fruits and veggies! I really need to check out this CSA business for myself ;)!

    ReplyDelete