Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Skirt Steak w/ Stout Pan Sauce


Confession.  I love gravy.  Like, really.  I love gravy.  Sometimes I can't have enough of it.  And you can obviously see by the way this dish was plated, that I'm not joking.

This was one of those dinners that I had to savor every bite.  This is literally whipped up in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for those hectic, busy weeknights where it sometimes seems impossible to get a really great dinner made.  Well, worry no more.  Because this will be your go-to meal!  If you're a carnivore, that is. =)

Ingredients:
Adapted from Bon Appetit's recipe





5 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
1/2 lb. skirt steak
salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup stout (I used a local brewery beer - BBC Heine Brother's Coffee Stout)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard on each side of the skirt steak.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Heat a large skillet under medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil until shimmering.  Add skirt steak to pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side for a medium rare.  Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest.  Tent with foil.

In a small bowl, mash together the butter and flour until you get a nice paste.

Heat the same skillet you used to cook stead under medium high heat once again.  Heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil and add garlic.  Saute for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.  Add chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits on the pan, and bring to a boil.  Whisk in stout, brown sugar, soy sauce, and remaining 3 teaspoons of Dijon mustard.  Slowly stir in butter-flour mixture.

Bring mixture to a boil and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.

Slice the skirt steak thinly and top with the sauce.


I made some cheddar-bacon mashed potatoes and served the steak and sauce atop that.  Of course, I needed to make sure I didn't run out of sauce (because it was just that good!) and filled my plate.  I thought it was a nice touch, and you better believe I didn't run out of sauce. =)


The flavors were amazing in this, and I love that it can differ depending on the type of beer you use, so feel free to experiment!  But definitely definitely give this one a go if you're a meat-eater!  You won't be disappointed!  Enjoy guys!

 

22 comments:

  1. This looks awesome comfort meal. It is so tempting for a veggie like me. you make fine dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang this looks good - that sauce...heavens, it's so pretty too. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is soo tempting, I must try it now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flavours in this! Would make a beautiful winter dish I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful dish. I could eat that right now- very comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the flavors and I love the combo with the potatoes. Sounds like a great new comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like one delicious dish... I love gravy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm a gravy person too. And this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious! The sauce looks so thick and creamy. I love how you displayed the mashed potatoes and steak too, especially on top of the overflowing sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are like my father-in-law, he has masses of gravy on everything as well LOL This dish looks yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was really JUST trying to figure out to make for my siblings when they come over on saturday...and I think this may just have to be it. That gravy makes the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right this is the perfect comforting meal for my busy weeknights. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this sounds incredible! Love the beer laced gravy in combination with the cheddar-bacon mashed potatoes. Yes, I'll have another serving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um...this looks FANTASTIC! I'm a gravy lover too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooh yummy I'm a gravy-fiend too. This looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to meet a fellow gravy addict! Sometimes I wish I could pour myself a glass straight from the gravy boat at holiday dinners, even though I know it's terrible manners and I'd probably get disowned. :)
    I love the fact that you've used such a flavourful beer for this gravy... there's a local brewery here that makes a coffee porter that would be perfect for this recipe. Must try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks awesome! My mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing! I can almost taste that stout gravy...and oh yes, paired with steak and mashed potatoes. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, one artistic plate full of flavors tha I love! Great job and love the photos- prefection! Thank you for sharing and wishing you a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete