Monday, June 28, 2010

Chili Con Carne


So I'm not much on fast food. Sure, I'll take an occasional trip through the Taco Bell drive through after a night of drinking, but besides that, I'm a pretty anti-fast food kind of gal. As I stumbled upon a new website (to me anyway), Fancy Fast Food, I was a bit more than intrigued. The current recipe on there is a spin on KFC's new Double Down sandwich. If you haven't seen this sandwich... it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, I like chicken more than your average joe, but this is a little excessive. Practically, it's two fillets of breaded and fried chicken, sans bread, and with Monterrey Jack cheese and bacon in between. Yeah... heart attack in one bite, right? So to fancy it up, Erik from Fancy Fast Food pointed out that it's nothing but a gimmicky Cordon Bleu, and made it look palatable after turning it into an amuse bouche. Hmm... maybe fast food isn't bad after you strip it down and turn it into something else eh? I don't know, I think I may still have to stay away from it...

And I know chili really isn't on one's mind in the summer time, but this chili con carne is surprisingly light and delicious. Definitely even better for leftovers the next day after the flavors have gotten a chance to meld with eachother!


Ingredients:
Adapted from Rocco Dispirito's "Now Eat This!" - Super-Light Mexican Chili Con Carne With Beans

4 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
35 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped and juice reserved
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. ground turkey breast
14 oz. can seasoned black beans, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
chopped jalapenos (optional)

In a large dutch oven, combine the garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes & juice, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil under medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.

Bring the heat back up to medium high and add in ground turkey. Break up the turkey and add in black beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.

Ladle chili into bowls and top with shredded cheese and jalapenos.

This is definitely a quick fix meal for a busy weeknight. The chili was ready within 30 minutes and you can definitely play with the amount of spice you want to achieve. Enjoy!

P.S. - we're not OFFICIAL! members of Grasshopper Distribution CSA here in Louisville! Our first pick up is July 7th and we're (mostly me) majorly excited!!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy...I will eat soup/chili all year long. And congrats on becoming a member of a CSA. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete