Monday, March 29, 2010

Sushi Extravaganza




I'm baaaaaaack! Vacation was pretty awesome. It was exactly what I needed. Until I got back to work again. It's funny how having to come back to the real world really bites. I wish I could just live one of those glorious lives where I could travel the globe and not lift a finger. But I guess maybe even that would become habitual and boring in time. Nonetheless... I'm back and ready to cook! I thought this sushi was pretty excellent, and if it wasn't so convenient to have others make this for me, I think I would do this myself all the time. I definitely recommend sushi-making at home, at least once, just for the experience... because it's definitely not as hard as you think!

Ingredients:

Basmati or some other kind of "sticky" rice
Seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 lb. lobster meat (or imitation)
1 package nori
1/2 cucumber, julienned
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
soy sauce
tempura batter
oil for frying

Alright, first cook your rice. I had two different types so that I could compare the two. First, I bought a prepackaged "steam for 1 minute in the microwave" kind of rice. Then I cooked about 1 cup of basmati rice, adding a little bit more water than recommended to kind of get the rice at that "sticky" texture. Separate each rice and add your desired amount of rice vinegar to each pile. Mix well.

Go ahead and heat up your frying oil. Kind of cut the lobster meat into chunks and dip them into the tempura batter. Let sit for 3 minutes and then coat a second time with the batter and allow to sit for a few more minutes.

Fry the batter lobster chunks until you get a nice golden brown color, maybe about 5-7 minutes.

Lay out your bamboo sushi mat and place a piece of plastic wrap over it to cover. For a normal roll (nori on the outside, rice on the inside), place nori sheet on top of sushi mat. Cover nori with rice and add desired fillings. I added in lobster, carrots, and cucumber... but that's what's great about sushi, it's versatile... you can practically put anything you want in there!


For an alternative roll, an inside out roll (where the rice is on the outside and nori on the inside), just place the rice on the plastic wrap to cover top with nori. Then add fillings.


Ok, once you've got your filling and roll planned out, gently pick up mat from end closest to you and roll. Tighten mat to tighten roll. Sometimes explaining this isn't as good as a visual aid. So check out this site for a more detailed description... How To Roll Sushi.

You can decorate the rolls as you please, I just chose to drizzle some Sriracha and top with tempura flakes and black sesame seeds. Serve with soy sauce and eat with chop sticks!

This was just great! Not only was it visually stunning, it was just as delicious as it looked! Two large rolls and we were both full and happy. I definitely think the "sticky" packaged rice was easier to roll with. The basmati kind of fell apart a little (I used that one for the inside out roll, you can kind of tell it was coming apart there in the picture, but delicious nonetheless!) Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Love the addition of Sriracha. It's like Frank's Red Hot Sauce... "I put that sh*t on everything" says elderly woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your wonderful comment. :) I appreciate it so much! I follow you on food buzz and now follow your blog too. :) Love this sushi! :D Your blog is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady! Thanks for the comment on my blog and adding me on foodbuzz! First, I've made sushi before, but not nearly as good-looking or organized as this. Sriracha rocks- as well as Olek chili paste, regular and garlic- although after reading this, I want to try this with sushi- I've never done that. So awesome, looks amazing, and I will be checkin your blog out regularly for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using basmati rice is an interesting idea.
    Beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete