Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chicken Thighs Smothered In Gravy w/ Balsamic Roasted Zucchini


First off... I want to give a big shout out to my friend Cindy, it's her birthday today. She's going to the Colts game, and so is everyone else I know. I don't like the Colts. I'm an Eagles fan, of course. And speaking of the Eagles, my mother, father, brother, and soon-to-be sister-in-law are all going to the Eagles/Falcons game together. I'm sure I'll hear stories because I know it'll be an interesting experience for my little Filipino mother. Anyway, I saw this chicken recipe in Food & Wine's November 2009 issue.

Ingredients for Chicken:

Adapted from Food & Wine's 'Chicken Smothered In Gravy'

2 & 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
5 skinless chicken thighs
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 thick slice of bacon, cut into thin crosswise strips
1 & 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tomato - peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 parsley sprigs plus 2 teaspoons, chopped

I was really worried about this dish. I mean, tomato gravy? Kinda weirded me out. But as my house become infiltrated with the aroma of well... deliciousness, I put my skepticism aside and dove right in. And I'm glad I did.

Preheat oven to 375 F. In an ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil under medium to high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook until browned all over, about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping once in between. When chicken is browned, transfer it to a plate and set aside.

Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until fat is rendered, about 2 minutes. Drain off the fat and add remaining oil to skillet. Stir in flour until incorporated. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook until tomato is somewhat soft, about 5 more minutes. Add the milk and broth and bring mixture to a boil. Stir until it begins to slightly thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chicken and any juices to skillet. Stir in parsley sprigs as well.

Cover the skillet and braise the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. You can't really go wrong with chicken thighs because as long as you don't burn it (which is practically impossible in a braising situation), then you can't dry it out, or cook it "too long".

Carefully take skillet out of oven with an oven mitt and remove chicken and place on a platter. Then, STILL wearing oven mitt, (I say this because I damn near burnt myself by grabbing onto the skillet handle without one), place skillet under moderate heat and stir mixture until smooth, about 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining chopped parsley and spoon the gravy onto the chicken.

I also made some Balsamic Roasted Zucchini to go along with the chicken. It was a REALLY easy side. Cut one large zucchini into thin rectangular slices. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss real well and bake in oven at 375F for about 15-20 minutes. It was great and went with the chicken well.

Overall, this was a fantastic meal. There was a complexity of flavor and a healthy component also. Great for any night of the week, I really think you should try this.... NOW! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hello peggy,

    This dish sings to me,...MMMMMMMMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. I think I have some frozen thighs and may just make that part of this

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely do! even without thighs... any type of chicken part shall do!

    ReplyDelete